Today I am going to tell you in detail about water kefir grains and also review the water kefir grains by Cultures Market (spoiler: they’re amazing!)
What is water kefir?
Water kefir is a fermented drink with probiotics based of water or coconut water. It is complete devoid of any dairy, and related components. It feels lighter upon ingesting, gluten free, vegan friendly, much more easier to make than milk kefir and hence finds more use for vegans, kids, people who don’t have the time to make milk kefir at home.
What are water kefir grains?
Water kefir grains are a combination of symbiotic bacteria and yeast. Together, they form crystals. They can be used to make kefir water, coconut water or fruit juice kefir. However, water kefir ‘grains’ look more like medium to large sized crystals which is quite different from the milk kefir grains and the name grains for water kefir grains is for namesake more than anything.
Just like milk kefir, water kefir grains consume the sugar of the medium you grow them in, releasing a colony of bacteria which are beneficial to the human gut.
Some myths about water kefir:
- It’s worth mentioning that even if you put sugar in the water kefir to provide as food for the kefir grains, the final water kefir does not have any sugar if you ferment it long enough. The sugar levels in the final water kefir drink would depend upon how long have you let them ferment for.
- Water kefir grains are different from milk kefir grains completely and using different medium for one won’t result in any yield and can damage the grains in question.
What are the benefits of water kefir?
- Just like milk kefir, water kefir is a probiotic drink with loads of gut friendly bacteria to heal your gut, improve digestion, improve absorption of nutrients from diet, and recover from issues like candida faster. You can find out the detailed mechanism of how gut health goes wrong here. Thus, kefir helps in treating IBS, constipation and diarrhea.
- Water kefir also has many vitamins such as vitamins B1, B6 and B12. If you make water kefir with a fruit juice of coconut water, nutrients increase without the increase in sugar.
- Water kefir heals gut inflammation and inflammation in general.
- Water kefir kills H. Pylori, a bacterium linked to cancer. Thus, kefir consumption can aid in preventing cancer cells to multiply.
- Calcium absorption and mobilization depends largely on gut health. By healing the gut, kefir also improves digestion and mobilization of calcium to bones, thus improving bones and the symptoms of arthritis and osteoporesis and also improving bone density.
- By improving gut health water kefir improves your eating patterns, your sugar toxicity levels and helps you manage diabetes and also lose weight.
- Water kefir also boosts energy levels and immunity by providing friendly bacteria which helps digest better but also improve body’s line of defense.
- Because of the fact that a poor gut is responsible for allergies, and kefir improves gut health, kefir also helps massively in treating food allergies. Through its anti inflammatory effects, kefir also helps in treating asthma.
How to make water kefir?
To make the water kefir, you need to add about 30g sugar in about half a liter of water and need to stir till the sugar dissolves. And in this jar, add water kefir grains, put a cheesecloth on top and store in a dark place for about 24 hours. You can store it for longer periods to make the water kefir less sweet.
I made a plain water kefir using the grains and the kefir was ready in about 24 hours. Till now I have consumed it plain, by adding some soda, some lemons and stevia to make a lemonade kefir, by mixing some with kombucha tea, and by blending it with a fruit and they all taste delicious. There is a unique fruity taste in water kefir which you will love almost immediately after the first sip.
Cultures Market Water Kefir grains review:
Recently I purchased Cultures Market water kefir grains. In addition to paying online, they also have a cash on delivery system which makes the purchase much easier. I received my delivery in three days to Mumbai. Their grains are extremely healthy and big, and kudos and gratitude to them for getting such high quality product to India and in our lives to make it healthier. Me and my wife have been trying Culture Market’s milk kefir, amasi and SCOBY for many months now and have reviewed their milk kefir and kombucha here and here. Their water kefir has been a very welcome addition to our family. Our health has improved massively and this definitely is a must buy. You can purchase these products on their website.