In this blog I will list the benefits of wheatgrass powder and also answer some FAQs. Recently I sourced some organic wheatgrass from farmers and offered to share it with some people at the cost I purchased. I felt some education about wheatgrass would be useful to those people and anyone else wanting to find out about wheatgrass. (Note: Everybody should be interested in knowing more about wheatgrass due to its benefits)
What is wheatgrass powder?
Wheatgrass powder is dried, powdered greens of young wheat crop. So when wheat is grown and germinated, we take the grass out when it is very young, dry it and powder it. You can also drink wheatgrass shots (fresh grass blended with some water) which is just as fine. However, blending grass everyday can be clumsy and tedious and this is where powder is of advantage.
What are the benefits of wheatgrass powder?
- Very rich in chlorophyll. Chlorophyll is known for-anti cancer, skin improvement, liver detoxification, wound healing, improved digestion.
- Good source of vitamins A (healthy skin and mucous membranes), C (healthy skin, teeth, anti inflammatory) and E (anti-oxidation in body).
- Rich in selenium (prevents cell damage and is an anti-oxidant for the body).
- Hormonal balance and improved fertility.
- Improves skin
- Helps in liver detoxification
- Helps in healing wounds
- In paste form, can be used to treat haemorrhoids and anal fissures.
- Improves nerve signalling and hence brain functioning.
- Helps in raising immunity and fighting cancer.
- Lowers high triglycerides and cholesterol.
- Helps controlling weight.
- Gluten free and suited for people with gluten allergy.
What should be caution points of wheatgrass?
- Wheatgrass is raw and never cooked. In rare cases, it could be contaminated with moulds. Always make sure the wheatgrass you are buying is of high quality, not adulterated and if possible, organic.
- Wheatgrass might cause some discomfort and nausea in some people just after consumption but is generally very suited to all. Sometimes when the body is in a bad health, it does not respond to all this goodness too well immediately. Hence improve your diet and food habits and then use wheatgrass as a supplement to take your health to next level.
- At no point should wheatgrass replace your daily quota of vegetables (which I personally recommend anywhere between 300-500 grams). This is a supplementation to your gut, your stomach, your skin, and overall health but not to be confused with taking vegetables.
- For any healthy product you try in life, always start with small doses to see how your body is responding. Hence, begin with about 5g of wheatgrass, then double to 10 after a week or there are no problems. You can increase it to 15-20 grams for faster benefits.
Wheatgrass is best for people with weight issues, sugar issues (candida/yeast), inflammatory conditions, skin problems, liver problems and gluten allergy. It does not have a lot of insulin spike properties and can also be consumed during your intermittent fasting period if you are doing so. I consume about 20g of wheatgrass with a drop of pure lemongrass oil suited for internal use in cold water and some powdered stevia leaves. The benefits will be visible from week I if you have already quit sugar and foods that negatively impact your health and have taken up on high levels of vegetables.
If you liked this blog, please leave a comment below to discuss.